8th Grade Students and Parents
Welcome to York! Next year you will be enrolled in one of our Biology classes. Please click on the 8th Grade Night Presentation if you were not able to attend.
Here are some resources that highlight the differences in our levels of biology.
Homeostasis Calendar & Objectives
Evolution Calendar & Objectives
Feedback Loops Screencast
DNA Replication Screencast
Science Department Fall 2016
The mission of the York Science Department is to inspire minds to inquire, think critically, and make informed decisions allowing students to have a positive impact on society.
Scholarships and STEM Opportunities
- Saturday, April 29th 9a.m. - 4p.m.
- Middle and High School Students
- Family-friendly Event
- Hands-on Activities and Demonstrations
- Date: February 11, 2017, 9:00-3:30 PM
- Competition that tests knowledge in neuroscience including such topics as cells of the nervous system and how they communicate with one another, neuroanatomy, brain-behavior relationships
- Date: February 12, 2017, 1:00-5:00 PM
- Open to all students grade 3 and up
Fermilab High School Internship (Target Program)
- Illinois sophomores and junior students
- Internship runs from June 26- August 4 (non-residential program)
- Intended for students interested in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics careers (STEM fields)
- Applications due by February 22, 2017
- Summer enrichment program for current high school students.
- Three summer sessions run from June 25th - August 4th
- Applications process begins in January, 2017.
- 100 students will be paired with scientists to virtually collaborate on cancer research.
- Who: Students in Grades 10 & 11
- Application and essay due: March 17, 2017
- Recognize high school seniors who have exemplified outstanding achievement in academics, extracurricular/employment, and community involvement
- Scholarship money up to $2,000 per awardee (must be attending an Illinois post-secondary institution)
- Application due February 17, 2017
Science Department Chair