- Have you ever had your face painted or gotten a henna tattoo? What about trying your hand at the potters wheel, or painting a mural? If any of these interest you, stop on by the commons Tuesday February 28th during all lunch hours to participate in the Art Fair for Fine Arts Week. We will have numerous stations available for all students to try and experiment with different media. It's for one day only so be sure to stop on by!
- Hey York, did you know the former Willowbrook basketball coach Dennis Doyle was a longtime Elmhurst resident? Prior to coaching at Willowbrook for 15 years he also coached at St. Joe's High School and Cornell University. His children attended York high school and his wife works for District 205. Coach Doyle lost his battle to leukemia in 2011, and a 3 on 3 basketball tournament was created in his honor. On March 4th the tournament will be held at Addison Trail high school. If you're interested in forming a team and competing against other local high school students, see Ms. Turnbull in A320 for more information.
- This year's Talent Show will be on Thursday Night, March 2nd from 7pm-10pm in the York Auditorium. The evening Talent Show will feature all of the student artists that performed during the daytime shows. Entrance is free for all District 205 students with a current ID, otherwise, tickets are available at the door for $10. All money raised goes towards bringing professional artists and performers to York for Fine Arts Week. Come out and enjoy the show!
- Boys Tennis Tryouts begin Monday beginning at 5:45 AM at Courts Plus, please have all your registration materials completed and turned in to the Athletic Office before then.
- Did you know the York girls badminton team has won 12 straight sectional titles? Are you interested in joining this amazing team of girls? Badminton tryouts will be held next week starting Monday, February 27th at 3:30pm in the South Gym. If you plan to try out, please see Mrs. Wilke in the Athletic Office to make sure you have all your paperwork on file.
- Today’s Black History Month trivia question: What is the name of the first African American to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court? The answer is Thurgood Marshall. Justice Marshall was the grandson of a slave, and he worked his way through school en route to becoming a lawyer. He is most famous for successfully arguing to end school segregation in the landmark Supreme Court case Brown vs. Board of Education. In 1967, he was nominated to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court, where he served for 24 years.
- Hey International Club members! Our next meeting is Wednesday, March 1st in room A392 right after-school. We're going to be having a meeting every Wednesday until International Fest so make sure you bring in your supplies on Wednesday. If you have any questions, check out our blog at yorkic.blogspot.com or ask Ms. Kaniyaly or Ms. McGowan. See you then!
- Hey fellow Dukes! Did you know that some of your male peers have the answer for solving the problems of the world? Did you also know that they have incredible talents and can be charming, confident, and elegant? Please come see these amazing junior and senior men compete for the coveted Mr. Duke title on Wednesday, March 1st in the auditorium. The audience vote will help determine the winner, so come enjoy this legendary experience and see who will win 2 free Prom tickets!
- Girls lacrosse tryouts start tonight at 8pm in the field house. All players must have a current physical on file and be registered. If you have questions, see Coach Walz in student services
- Hey Dukes! You can win a free post prom ticket at the boys’ basketball regional game tonight against Naperville Central. The game is at 6 pm in the Green & White gym. Competitors will compete in a beat the clock competition, shooting a lay-up, free throw, three pointer, and half court shot. Be sure to come cheer on our boys basketball team and do your best to win that coveted post prom ticket on the beautiful Odyssey Chicago!
- Are you an animal lover? Join us for Animal Behavior Club! We will be meeting on Tuesday the 28th after school from 3:15 - 4:15 in room A374. We will be discussing volunteer opportunities and fundraising events! Everyone is welcome!
- Have you heard about the relocated York Get’N Go Kiosk in the A Foyer entrance? Yes we have created a unified and convenient food kiosk that offers breakfast and lunch sandwiches, salads, snacks, beverages and of course our famous Smoothies. Drop by on your way into school and visit during passing periods when you need a quick food fix.
- Attention Juniors and Seniors! Upcoming college visits are listed below. If interested, please sign up in the CCRC at least one day prior to the visit to obtain a pass.
- Monday, February 27th, 7th Period – Eastern Illinois University
- Thursday, March 2nd, 2nd Period – Truman State University